Sunday, May 6, 2012

Shorts and Swimsuits.....GASP!

As May officially begins, so does the annual "preparation for swimsuit season."  I've noticed that weight loss does have seasons - there is the preparation for the holidays season, the post holiday season, the back-to-school season (which still cracks me up that at 41 that they are still marketing to me with this one...ha) and my personal nemesis, swimsuit season.

So to pay homage to the annual approach of shorts, swimsuits, tank-tops and all things flattering to mommies everywhere, I thought I'd take a look at a few sites full of goodness and support for all of us during this, our seasonal time of need.

Fact Finding

First things first, what are the facts about what you should eat, how often should you eat and where do you find ideas for new recipes (seriously, and I say this as a non-meat eater, a girl can only eat so much salad, right)?  Here are a few sites that I love for help with all of the above:



Get By With a Little Help

Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a big group exercise kind of girl, but I have been giving the boot camp workout idea a consideration lately (jury is still out).  BUT I do believe there is something to giving and receiving support, so here are some great site for just that offering:


And of course, there is always my weekly inspiration which I find in The Biggest Loser.  Yes, that's right, it's one of my guilty pleasures.....I love it!  And for any of you who follow me on Twitter or Facebook, then you all know I also got to meet....no HUG....my Biggest Loser idol, Dolvett about eight weeks ago (a moment I actually apologized to Dolvett for on his Twitter because I was totally uncool and jumped out of  my car to hug him)! "Hard work....dedication people!" (seriously, the quote is on my mirror)


When All Else Fails

Sometimes trying to do it all own your own is just too much.  So when that moment hits you, I say hit Jenny Craig of Weight Watchers.  I've used them both in previous years and can't say enough about them.  However, if you're on a budget, might I recommend the Smart Ones and Vita Tops found in your frozen food section.  Match these with your own salad and presto, you have a JC and WW comparable meal at half the price. (I'm nothing if not practical after all.)


Jerry Springer Wrap-up Moment

Now I'm sure those of you who have known me for years are now wondering if I've "fallen back into a bad mindset" since I'm actually writing a blog post about weight loss.  Fear not my compadres, it's actually quite the opposite!  Over the years, one of the things I've learned is to be comfortable in my own skin....and that includes with how my body has changed after 13 fun-filled surgeries and two super-weight gaining pregnancies (I totally embraced the belly pants when I had the opportunity).

Though it is because of this fact that I am often reminded around this time of year, not to panic when the swim suit season ads kick into high gear.  I calm myself, take a look in the mirror and remind myself that I'm still a pretty hot ticket.  Sure, we could all use a little extra help here and there, and THAT is the reason for today's post - super simple, easy, no panic ideas for dealing with the onslaught of the skinny season attack ads.

So remember:
  • Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 (or so they tell us)
  • Curves are natural  - don't believe me, check out some rocking 14th Century art some time
  • And, as long as your healthy....just be happy with who you are
......and be good to yourself, and each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment